Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Oct 19

After talking with Ava Land over the weekend, she brought up something I have probably been neglecting a little bit. More importantly something we will all probably come up short of in the approaching winter. Vitamin D. Here in a bit I will talk about what it does for our body but first, how do we get Vitamin D? (since there is very little in the food we eat). Answer: Our largest organ (our skin) can synthesize Vitamin D simply by being exposed to the sun about 15 minutes a day.

What Vitamin D does for us:
Helps prevent osteoporosis. (bone degeneration)
Lowers inflammation. (this helps healing, recovery and disease prevention)
Decreases the risk of Cancer
Helps you utilize steroid hormones (testosterone, estrogen)
Helps prevent depression and it slows down our aging process

So get up and get out. Schedule in a few 5 min walks each day. I get to take Xena outside on a regular basis, which helps me out. Sun should be your first choice, but if you know you aren't getting your Vitamin D (especially during the winter time), supplement it.

Strength
3 x 30sec max rep push up

MetCon
5 rounds of:
40 yd Bear Crawl
8 Front Squat
5 Push Jerk
(135/95)

5 comments:

  1. My sister has reallyblow vitamin d so I have been reading up on this. Egg yolks has vitamin d and I do know Sprouts sells a liquid vitamin d you can drop in your drink/food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the WOD called Vitamin D. I'm sure this remark is going to backfire on me. If I change my idea of killing a buffalo to the day time, that would cover me on getting my vitamin D. Plus, I'm going to get a workout in dragging it in, since Ken wants no part of it. I'm a trained killer. We can do this! Operation to kill a buffalo will need some more planning. Oh,yea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. push ups 22/22/19. WOD 11:21 with 65#. I agree, Marc. The bear crawls should be renamed diablo!

    ReplyDelete